Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Zahra Rahnavard: “We will not compromise, we will not recognize!”

By: Fereshteh Ghazi

Some groups and political personalities interpreted Mousavi’s statement #17 as a sign of recognition for Ahmadinejad’s government. Some went far enough to mention behind-the-scenes compromises and deals. Zahra Rahnavard vehemently denied the claims in her interview with Rooz Online. She stated, “We will neither recognize Ahmadinejad’s government nor will we compromise. We are honestly pursuing the rights and demands of the people.” She was also quoted as saying, “Our chests will be our only shields while we brave bullets, attacks, and terror.”

Below is the interview with Mrs. Zahra Rahnavard, university professor, writer, and Mir-Hossein Mousavi’s spouse:


Reporter:
Following the distribution of Mr. Mousavi’s statement #17, some claimed that Mr. Mousavi had officially recognized Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s government. Is this a correct interpretation?

Zahra Rahnavard:
My personal interpretation of this statement is different. The fact that points regarding cheating and irregularities in the election were stressed in the statement, then how can someone interpret the words as a compromise? What I gathered from the statement is that Mr. Mousavi does not recognize the government that has come to power by cheating.


Reporter:
Currently there are a lot of rumors circulating of behind-the-scenes compromises made by Mr. Mousavi, Karoubi, and Khatami. Even today (January 25, 2009) Mr. Karoubi was quoted in a statement recognizing Ahmadinejad’s government. Some interpret Mr. Mousavi’s statement and today’s words by Karoubi as a behind-the-scenes compromise.

ZR:
This is not true at all and there is no compromise. I don’t see any signs of compromise in that statement; quite the opposite. The statement includes the people’s demands and ideals. It is the least of the people’s demands.The regime can easily afford to respond to those demands.

Reporter: But the regime will not heed to those demands. I mean, it has not done that so far. Do you think it will heed to the demands?

ZR: I cannot predict the future and claim what will happen. I just hope that whatever happens will benefit the people of Iran and will result in the nation holding their head up high. I want to stress the point that we neither recognize Ahmadinejad’s government nor will we compromise behind-the-scenes.

Reporter: With the second wave of inclusive arrests following the December 27th demonstrations, it seems like even people who have performed great service to the revolution are being arrested. Do you think this will have any effect on the people’s movement?

ZR: The arrests are wrong and a big mistake. It is unfortunate that they are taking place. The arrest of individuals who preach freedom and people’s rights has not legal basis. We need to note that ideals of freedom, democracy, and rule-of-law and people’s rule through religion are the basis of the people’s demands; so is voting.

The arrest of ordinary citizens and political and media personalities has no legal basis. What benefits do regime officials receive by arresting someone like Mr. Beheshti who is a symbol of seeking justice, a dedicated academic, and the think-tank behind the movement? I do not mean only Mr. Beheshti is, but I am using him as an example to symbolize all of our dear people who are under arrest for their humane ideals. I also want to stress that the arrest of the brave and conscious Iranian women will be a big blow to the integrity of the Islamic Republic.

These are women who are supposed to be among society, [for example] working at universities. Instead, they are currently spending time in the corners of prisons. This will be a great shame both in Iran and across the world for the Islamic Republic.

Reporter: Do you think the arrests will affect the people’s movement in any way?

ZR: The arrests will have no effect in regards to the people’s demands and their movement. People are extremely conscious, and with their high level of political understanding, will pursue their demands. Today it is the people who are ahead of the intellectuals. We even see that our intellectuals are following the people.

Reporter: Mrs. Rahnavard, many close associates of yours and your husband’s have been arrested. Your brother has been arrested twice and Mr. Mousavi’s nephew was martyred. How has this affected your personal and family life?

ZR: We live and breath with the Green Movement. I have always admonished backward thinking groups. I have always spoken my mind. Unfortunately they [the current government powers] have now concentrated on placing pressure on freedom-loving women through insults and side issues. This is not something new, but now they have passed the point of vulgarity. There was a time when they would not allow me to print my books and I was forced to pursue my career and social work only at the universities. Even there, the pressures persisted. It is now even more intense. Their aim is to not allow me to breath so they can get rid of me. They cannot even stand our love life. They try to create side issues, but everyone knows what kind of life we live. The pressure tactics and insults will have no effect to our ideals, activities, and daily routine.

Reporter: I like to know more about the situation surrounding your family, relatives, and your close friends who have paid a high price and continue to do so. Has their situation affected their relations with Mr. Mousavi?

ZR: These prices are not paid for the sake of Mr. Mousavi. It is for the Green Movement. We are not individualists and our family and relatives are no different than ordinary people who pay the high price. My brother is an academic and a specialized professional with no history of political activities, but he is paying the price like other people. We brave bullets, attacks, and terror using our chests as shields.

Reporter: Mrs. Rahnavard, you have been personally attacked three times. They said that those who attacked you were ‘Basiji Sisters’. Would you explain what that was about?

ZR: I cannot say for sure that they were Basijis but I can say that they had a mission. From December 6th through December 9th, I was faced with great insecurity. They were continually chasing me, and once crowded around me and used terrible words to insult me. Once while a university security shoved me into a car to take me away from the scene, a motorcycle rider stuck his hand through the window and used pepper spray on me. I felt very ill for a while and my kidneys began to bleed. On the other days, university security made sure to surround me. During those four days, they [regime forces] would either insult me or attack me physically. I had no security. After December 9th, they have stopped and nothing has happened since then.

Reporter: Aren’t you afraid of future incidents? Do you predict such events happening?

ZR: Seeking and fighting for freedom has always been my ideal in life. For this reason I am not even afraid of death. I told you that our chests are our shields. I am personally ready for any bullet, attack, or terror.

Translation by: Tour Irani
Persian2English.com

No comments:

Post a Comment